Welcome to Sharpe's Wiki, an encyclopedia reference to the twenty-one novels and three short stories by Bernard Cornwell featuring the character of Richard Sharpe, as well as the television movies based upon them.
We are currently working on 438 articles.
"They're drunk sods, sir, but they're the best Soldiers in the world. The very best." And he meant it. They were the elite, the damned, the Rifles. They were soldiers in green. They were Sharpe's Rifles "
--Richard Sharpe, Sharpe's Rifles
If Richard Sharpe wanted to lead them to Paris they would go, blindly confident that he would see them through."
- Sharpe's Tiger The Siege of Seringapatam, 1799
- Sharpe's Triumph The Battle of Assaye, September 1803
- Sharpe's Fortress The Siege of Gawilghur, December 1803
- Sharpe's Trafalgar The Battle of Trafalgar, October 1805
- Sharpe's Prey The Expedition to Copenhagen 1807
- Sharpe's Rifles The French Invasion of Galicia, January 1809
- Sharpe's Havoc The Campaign in Northern Portugal, Spring 1809
- Sharpe's Eagle The Talavera Campaign July 1809
- Sharpe's Gold The Destruction of Almeida
- Sharpe's Escape The Battle of Busaco, 1810
- Sharpe's Fury The Battle of Barrosa
- Sharpe's Battle The Battle of Fuentes de Oñoro, May 1811
- Sharpe's Company The Siege of Badajoz
- Sharpe's Sword The Salamanca Campaign June and July, 1812
- Sharpe's Enemy The Defense of Portugal, Christmas 1812
- Sharpe's Honour The Vitoria Campaign, February to June 1813
- Sharpe's Regiment The Invasion of France, June to November 1813
- Sharpe's Siege The Winter Campaign, 1814
- Sharpe's Revenge The Peace of 1814
- Waterloo The Waterloo Campaign, 15 June to 18 June 1815
- Sharpe's Devil 1820-21
Who is Sharpe?
Richard Sharpe is the fictional protagonist of a series of 21 novels and three short stories chronicling his career as a soldier in the British Army. Written by Bernard Cornwell, the series follows Sharpe's adventures throughout his twenty-two year career; originally only 11 books covering the Peninsula War, the author has since added another ten volumes to cover highlights of Sharpe's career from his time as a private to career's end at Waterloo and beyond.
Cornwell begins the timeline with Sharpe's Tiger when Sharpe is Private in the 33rd Regiment of foot in India. He is promoted to Sergeant by the end of the book. He was promoted to Ensign in the 74th Regiment by the end of his time in India, and transferred to the newly formed 95th Rifles as a Second Lieutenant during Sharpe's Trafalgar. Circumstances and ambition allow him a prominent roll in the fighting in Spain and Portugal, and he is promoted through the ranks with every feat and victory, finally promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in Sharpe's Waterloo.
The Sharpe Series
Sharpe has been released in both in novels and in film. The Sharpe novel series ran from 1981 to 2007. The Sharpe television series ran from 1993 to 1997. Two additional movies were made in 2007-2008. The two versions do not always follow the same story line, and include both major and minor differences in plot. Indeed, several of the television movies are original, and have no bearing on any novel plot line.
The series engendered the Sharpe Appreciation Society and devotees from around the world.
*WARNING: Because of the nature of this wiki, most of the character and novel articles will contain spoilers as to plot and story.